20060124

Soldiers' Angels

I'm a volunteer for Soldiers' Angels (soldiersangels.org) and I'm wondering what would you most like to get in a care package? (A few suggestions for things that fit in flat rate boxes would be helpful.) Also, are there any subjects that are best avoided when I write? I get lots of feedback on the Angels website, but I'd like to get some ideas from actual deployed military as well. Thanks for you input.

SoCalAngel


GiGotti78- First off let me take this moment to thank you for all you have done. To volunteer your time to help soldiers overseas is truly a testament of your character. I would also like to thank each and every person who has donated to organizations like yours for it lets the soldiers like me know we are not forgotten. Okay, now that I have rambled alittle bit I can answer your question. People are always asking what they should send in a care package. What I always tell them it is not the contents of the package but the thought behind that package that makes it special. Now, if that is not enough, here are some things you can put in a package:

Toothpaste
Toothbrushes
Hand/Feet warmers (believe it or not it gets cold in the desert at nights)
Various Snacks ( cookies, chips, hard candies)
A thank you card (I find it always nice and it touches my heart when I get a thank you card from someone I have never met who shows their appreciation.)

The possibilities are endless when it comes to a care package. Most times, soldiers will share their packages with fellow soldiers in the section/squad/platoon. So no matter what you send, it will be used and be appreciated. I know my unit has set up a tent in our living area where soldiers put anything they haven't used out for fellow soldiers to get. Also, if you write a letter just saying thank you for the job you are doing and letting the soldier know he is in your prayers (if you are the religious type) is just fine. Keeping the letters broad is always the safest bet.


Mr. Matt will not be able to answer due to being on leave enjoying time with family and friends. He will return soon.

1 comment:

Immodesty Blaze said...

Hi,

I would email you but it's easier to just post here; I am wondering what percentage of troops out there actually speak Arabic so that they can read the Iraqi newspapers and talk to people independently?

You've got quite an interesting blog, thanks for your time.